Do you know what is takoyaki?
The literal translation is octopus(tako) grilled (yaki) - with some people calling it grilled octopus ball.
This classic Japanese street snack is a wheat flour ball, typically filled with tako (boiled octopus).
Traditionally, takoyaki batter is usually made from flour and dashi (japanese soup stock); but we've come up with our own localised version using simple ingredients that are common in your kitchen or readily available at any supermarket.
Of course, feel free to buy a premix and follow package instructions.
Let's not forget the best part about making takoyaki at home - you can put in ANY ingredients you like~
We tried ham, cheese and even mentaiko this time! What do you like in your takoyaki?
|Takoyaki Batter||Fillings (anything you like!)||Toppings|
|300ml Water + Soup stock cube (or 300ml stock)||Tako (boiled octopus)||Takoyaki Sauce|
|1 cup Plain Flour||Cheese||Mayo|
|Pinch of Salt||Ham||Bonito flakes|
|Pinch of Pepper||Mentaiko||Aonori flakes|
|2 Eggs||Sweet Corn|
|Chopped Spring Onion (optional)||Tenkasu|
|Pickled Red Ginger|
S T E P S
- Mix all batter ingredients together and set aside
- Prepare BRUNO hotplate with Takoyaki attachment and set to HIGH heat
- Fill the holes with oil to at least 1/3 for crispy takoyaki!
- Let the oil heat up before pouring in your batter, overfilling is ok!
- Add in your fillings as desired!
- When the outer layer starts to cook and form, you can turn your takoyaki over, spilling the uncooked batter over.
- Try to stuff all the excess into the hole, forming the perfect ball!
- Cook till everything is golden brown and you can serve with your favourite sauces and toppings!
Tip: The takoyakis in the middle will cook slightly faster, remove and serve those first, then move the remaining takoyaki inwards
WIN! - A full set of BRUNO Miniatures (6 gacha) and other premiums!
Here's how to participate:
1) Recreate any recipe from BRUNO Test Kitchen, feel free to give it your own twist!
2) Take a photo/video of your creation and post on Facebook or Instagram
3) Tag us @brunohotplatesg and hashtag #brunosgmoments
Contest runs from 26/5/2022 till 30/6/2022, 2359hrs. Posts and accounts need to remain public for the entire contest period.
Contest is limited to Singapore residents only.