As we approach Halloween, #teamBRUNO is summoning up ghosties in the kitchen to join the haunt as these adorably spooky Boo!nies (marbled pumpkin brownies).
Baked to perfection with the Cupcake Plate attachment for the BRUNO Compact Hotplate, the Boo!nie is a half chocolate brownie, half pumpkin cake, and topped with little pumpkin spiced ghoulettes. These marbled Boo!nies are sure to do the trick to give Halloweeners as treat!
Delving into the deets
For the pumpkin purée you can use the canned variety for convenience’s sake or make your own by steaming peeled and sliced pumpkin for 40 minutes and processing them in a blender until smooth.
The frosting in this recipe is piled high to shape the ghosts that’ll grace your Halloween haunt. We provided two kinds, a theme-fitting pumpkin spiced frosting, as well as a white vanilla buttercream.
Depending on your priority, flavour synergy or attaining sheet-white ghosts, you can pick of the two frostings the best that would suit your needs.
BRUNO Cupcake Plate
These marbled boo!nies are made with the Cupcake Plate, an optional attachment that adds the capability to make souffle pancakes, cupcakes, and now, brownies to your BRUNO Compact Hotplate!
If you’re new to the BRUNO Cupcake, cook on your hotplate’s lower heat settings (WARM to LOW-MED) for longer periods of time, especially for recipes that include sugar.
The cupcake plate is also best paired with the Compact Glass Lid, as it retains and circulates heat slightly better and allows you to keep an eye on your food as it bakes.
Recipe (makes 16 Boo!nies)
- Grease each of the holes of your BRUNO Cupcake Plate attachment with vegetables oil and set it aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and butter into your BRUNO Multi Grill Pot and heat on WARM. Stir the chocolate mixture with a spatula until it has all melted (~3 minutes). Turn off the heat and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt, then briefly whisk them together.
- In another bowl, cream the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer until it turns white and fluffy (~ 3 - 5 minutes).
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed eggs in 3 separate additions, beating the batter with the hand mixer in between additions. Periodically to scrape down the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- When the batter is mixed through, divide it into 2 equal portions (~ 1 cup each) in 2 medium bowls. To one bowl add the melted chocolate and stir the mixture to combine.
- To the other batter bowl, add the nutmeg, cinnamon, oil, and puréed pumpkin, then stir to combine.
Baking the brownies
- Spoon 1 tbsp of chocolate brownie batter and 1 tbsp of pumpkin batter side-by-side into each of the Cupcake Plate holes.
- Stick a skewer or toothpick into the batter and swirl it around in a circular motion to marble the two batters together. Repeat this step for all the individual brownies.
- Optionally, you can smoothen the tops of the batter with an oiled offset spatula to so the resultant brownies will have neater tops.
- Cover the cupcake plate and place it into your BRUNO hotplate, set the heat to WARM - LOW.
- Bake the brownies for 40 minutes then turn off the heat and leave it in the hotplate covered for 10 minutes more.
- Gently remove the brownies with skewers, transferring them to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
Whip-up the frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter by whipping it with a hand mixer.
- Gradually add the icing sugar in 3 separate addition and beat it with the mixer until it’s fully incorporated after every addition.
- Add the vanilla extract, then add milk to adjust the consistency of the buttercream, it should be pipeable yet firm enough to hold its shape.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag equipped with a large piping tip (round or star patterned.
- To make the pumpkin frosting, follow the same directions, but add the pumpkin and spices to the butter at the start of the process.
Putting the “Boo!” in Boo!nie
- Pipe the frosting onto the cooled Boo!nies, in a continually ascending spiral, it should resemble a soft-serve ice cream.
- Place 3 chocolate chips on one side of the frosting mound to resemble eyes and a nose.
Gobble up your newly conjured ghosts with a fervor that'd make Pacman proud!
Happy Halloween, Enjoy~