Moist and crumbly, salty yet sweet, cornbread is just the spongy treat to soak up those delectable Christmas sauces at your feast, from cranberry jam to crisp chimichurri!
Baked with the Compact Cupcake Plate attachment for the BRUNO Compact Hotplate, it's easy to achieve a golden-brown exterior with moist insides.
Delving into the deets
Finer with a liner?
Cupcake liners will work in consort with the BRUNO Cupcake Plate, they’re an easy way to add colour to your cornbread, and they make cleanup easier too! Just make sure the lip of the liners are approximately 6 cm in diameter. If you choose to forego to cupcake liner, just remember to grease the interior of the cupcake molds before filling them with batter.
This recipe focuses on adding a spicy tang to the mix seeing the addition of pickled chilis. Some other dynamite tweaks you can make to your cornbread are the addition of chopped spring onions, cheddar cheese, bacon, or roasted peppers.
Recipe (makes 16 cornbread “cupcakes”)
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and paprika, to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the buttermilk, butter, egg, and maple syrup till a thick batter forms.
- Add the minced pickled chili and stir it in.
- Place cupcake liners into the molds on the BRUNO Cupcake Plate and add batter to each until ¾ full. You may omit the use of cupcake liners and add batter directly to the lightly oiled cupcake molds.
- Place the cupcake plate in your BRUNO Compact Hotplate, and cover it, preferably with the Optional Glass Lid. Set the heat to WARM - LOW and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and check that the cornbread is fully cooked by piercing them with a skewer. They are done when the skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cornbread cupcakes with a skewer and tongs.