When it comes to roast chicken, simplicity is the name of the game. The similarly easy to use BRUNO Air Fryer provides the perfect surround heating so you always achieve optimal results — glassy-crisp skin, juicy-succulent flesh, and zesty-fragrant air fryer roast chicken!
Delving into the deets
Channeling Crisp Chicken
Here are some tips to ensure a golden-brown perfection every time.
- Surface moisture prevents the skin from crisping up nicely, so air your bird. Rest the raw chicken on a wire rack and place it in an empty corner of your refrigerator uncovered overnight to air-dry its skin.
- Don't skimp on salt! Salt further draws moisture from the skin, encouraging the the skin to crust up nicely. This won't dry out the flesh, instead it will have a dry brining effect helping the meat to retain moisture.
The downfall of a roast is parched-grainy flesh. Prevent this regrettable result with these handy tips.
- Chicken dry out due to overcooking. The BRUNO air fryer convects hot air all over the bird so it cooks quicker than in an oven while locking in moisture and flavour. The cook times reflected in the recipe below take advantage of this speedier cooking ability.
- If the meat is too cold when it starts cooking, the interior takes a far longer time to reach the desired temperature, lengthening roast times and drying out the meat. Rest the chicken in a dry cool spot (1 - 2 hours) to let it come up to room temperature prior to cooking. Allocate this rest time after seasoning the bird to achieve both warming and marinating concurrently.
Sauce substanceThe simple creamy pan sauce detailed in the recipe below is made with the flavoursome roasting juices from your air fried chicken. Improve on this savory reduction by adding ingredients from your pantry including:
- a garlic clove (lightly crushed)
- white wine
- herb sprigs (thyme, rosemary, lemon balm, etc...)
- dry spices (star anise, cloves, etc...)
- wholegrain mustard
- Prepare the seasoning by combining the lime zest, salt and pepper in a bowl. Give this a quick mix.
- If you haven't had time to air dry your chicken (see notes above), wipe it's surface dry with paper towels, making sure to dry the interior of the body cavity as well.
- With your hands, butter the chicken all over, massaging the fat over all the skin, any exposed flesh and inside the chicken's body cavity too. With your fingers, loosen the skin over each chicken breast, and stuff a couple of butter knobs under it to enrich the white flesh.
- Rub the chicken all over with the lime seasoning, also making sure to season the body cavity, and under the skin. Leave the chicken to marinate in a cool dry spot (~ 2 hours).
- Place the seasoned chicken into the BRUNO air fryer basket with the chicken breast facing upwards, and tuck it's wings behind its back so that the wing tips don't burn.
- Place the basket into the air fryer, and turn it on at an initial temperature of 140 ℃ for 10 minutes.
- Once the first cook time is complete, turn up the heat to 200 ℃ and roast for 15 minutes (~ 800 g bird), or 20 minutes (~ 1 kg bird).
- Finally, brown the underside of the chicken by pulling out the basket, flipping the chicken over with tongs, and cooking it for a further 5 minutes at 200 ℃.
- After this final sear, remove the chicken from the air fryer, and set it on a wire rack to cool (~ 5 minutes).
Creamy Pan Sauce
- Pour the leftover roast chicken juices into a sauce pan on high heat and add the chicken stock. Let the liquid come to a boil and let it reduce stirring occasionally (2 - 3 minutes).
- When the liquid has reduced to half the original amount, give it a taste and season accordingly with salt.
- Stir in the butter with a spatula, so that it emulsifies with the rest of the liquid - you shouldn't see any oil floating on top.
- Stir in the cream, and turn off the heat.
- To serve, place the chicken in the centre of a large plate, and pour the sauce around so the chicken sits in a puddle of the creamy jus. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Serve with roast veggies and creamy mash to the for a classically comforting roast chicken experience~